Welcoming Nathan: Asheville Birth Photographer

I’ve been photographing births since 2010 and it is always such an honor to be welcomed into such an intimate and vulnerable space.  I was finishing up my doula certification and Mari and John were gracious enough to invite me as their doula/photographer.  This was baby number four so we were expecting things to go pretty quickly once labor began.  It was just waiting for the labor to begin! Her previous babies were pretty comfortable in the oven and this little man went past his “due date” as well.  Mari was scheduled for an induction at 41 weeks and 6 days. Her previous births were unmedicated and she planned for this one to be as well so she opted to be induced as naturally as possible.  She worked so hard and tried everything her !  Contractions finally started around noon but would slow down every time she was walking or moving around.   At 5:30 p.m. she finally opted for Pitocin (which is no joke without an epidural).  That kicked things up a notch for a while but the contractions weren’t causing any changes.  Mama was tired!  She’d been up since the middle of the night before with sporadic contractions and she knew she just needed to rest.  At 11:00 p.m. they stopped the Pitocin and started Cervidil overnight so Mama could get some rest.

I don’t usually talk so much about the timing or procedures so much but I was primarily a doula at this birth so it was on my mind.  And also, this was a Marathon birthing event (especially for a fourth baby) and I want to give Mama credit!  The next day they pulled the Cervidil around 11:00 a.m.  By 1 p.m. she was ready for the Foley Bulb.  Finally at 4 the Foley bulb came out and we were hopeful that her body would realize there was no going back and we needed to have a baby, however, labor just kind of stalled.  25 hours after her first round of Pitocin, Mari was back on it at 6:30 that evening.  Her nurses and midwife Angie were amazing and really supportive.

Mari got up and walked the halls, spent some time on the birthing ball, and in the tub.  John decided to see if he could catch some z’s for a refresh as it had been a very long couple of days.  At almost 2 in the morning Mari’s water broke and she had me wake John up because she felt like she needed to push.  We thought for sure baby would be here any moment!  Finally, at 5:33 a.m. Mari gave birth to a beautiful, 10 lb. 8 oz. baby boy.  Uh, yeah.  You read that right.  10 pounds 8 ounces.  No wonder this was a marathon birth!

Mama was a rock star through the entire process.  She worked so hard!  It was such a blessing to be there with them as they welcomed their sweet baby boy.
I love seeing Angie in action, she is an amazing midwife.
Finally, all that hard work, and baby arrived.This is what a 10 1/2 pound baby looks like!  Cute, right?Curled up baby toes.  Doesn’t get much better than that!